Sunday, November 25, 2012

New Highs

In keeping with the all time high database that I've been tallying I've also been keeping a list of stocks making new highs.  I'm not 100% committed to exactly what qualifications for new highs I want to use just yet.  When I started I used the New High feature in TeleChart 2000 on US Common Stocks but found I was getting a number of stocks trading less than 10K shares a day.  Additionally one of the problems is the garbage data in the universe such as HOTR which sneaks in.  On top of that I still need to figure out a way to weed out buy outs which has been skewing some of the results as well as some of the sub-industry "Close End Funds".

One of the significant changes I've made mid-stream is using the Price New High feature which will populate with not only new 52-Week Highs, but also new highs on stocks trading less than a year which I find useful for keeping track of promising IPO candidates.  Additionally, I've been placing a liquidity condition of 100K shares, but even this seems to pass on stocks trading less than this.  Thus far the list begins on 10/26/2012.  At some point I may alter this as well and keep track of highs over different periods.



One of the stocks this process has drawn my attention to is a recent IPO, Restoration Hardware which since its debut has put in 5 new highs.

RH

Another is Burger King which has been showing promising price action and has eclipsed it's IPO high two sessions in a row.

BKW

No comments:

Post a Comment