Saturday, November 24, 2012

Weekend Review 11/23/12


At times I find it difficult to analyze holiday shortened market weeks. Sometimes I question which analysis should be contextualized to a short week and which should be addressed based upon its own merits. Obviously the most glaring is accessing low volume days and its significance when the indexes are closing up 1%+ on half days. Additionally, most of the major indexes have closed up this week approximately 5% so price is clearly divorced from volume.

One of the easiest things for me to do is flip my opinion, especially on bounces like this; however, being burned enough times on false rally breaks in down trending markets, I've also learned some restraint in altering my views too quickly. One of my expectations coming into last week was to see an increase in volatility. One means I've been measuring this is by the number of 1% close over close or 2% intraday moves on the SPX. There have been 16 trading days so far this month, and 6 of them have exhibited this characteristic and two of them occurred this week. I view this as confirmation.

SPX

I continue to expect some form of retest of the 11/16 low and I am still leaning towards looking for shorting opportunities until the market verifies otherwise. The main verification I am looking for is increased buying stepping in as the first clue and then the indexes beginning to show signs of an renewed uptrend. I perceive the bounce this week as suspect until proven otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment