Friday, September 20, 2013

Weekend Review 09/20/2013


I don't get giddy often, but when I do I'm mindful to dismount the high horse and put my feet firmly on the ground. I've been up the ladder and down the chute enough times now that I'd like to believe I've wizened up to the fact that I should be cautious under such circumstances. It has been during these moments that I've managed to cough up my profits the fastest and find myself at scratch and starting all over again. There's plenty of reason to remain positive about the overall market, however right now is the time to be cautious from my perch and being happy with my results is one of the first signs.

There's two things in my trading that I try to achieve: avoiding draw downs and avoiding troubling market periods. To better asses the later I continue my daily process of breadth analysis even though I must admit that this trading year has been a bit difficult in this regards as there have been a number of false signals given from my readings as well as some false assumptions and poor analysis on my part. Be that as it may, what this has illustrated much more clearly to me and I have to to greater acceptance of, is that not everything works all the time. I've been fooled and foolish over the past 9 months, but what has been further cemented is sticking to my process and not the outcome.

Part of my process continues to include the following check list:
Breadth Check List

Working from the top down I gleam the following information: the Primary, Secondary and Thrust are all bullish here. When these are aligned they tell me very simply that long is the correct side of the market and in turn so should my bias. However, this is not a simple hot/cold scenario. The underlying numbers are also important. The following spreadsheet image backtracks from today through July 29th (dates not shown due to screen real estate).

Market Montior

The numbers that are of most interest to me are the number of stocks in my universe up/down 4% daily, the number that are up/down 25% in a quarter, and the number that are up/down 50% in a month. What the underlying numbers illustrate is that over the past few days there is a similarity to the readings from late July through early August where the market stalled out, volatility began to increase, and a modest pullback ensued. So while all elements are aligned and my longer term bias is long, in the short term I am leaning somewhat bearish and as a result am cautious about the current state of the market.

Moving down the list I have a number of public canned breadth indicators that I follow. The first two are the % of NYSE stocks above their corresponding 10 and 20 period moving average, both of which are above 70 and I consider that an extreme zone. What this indicates to me is that on the shorter term the market breadth is very stretched here and exhausted and in need of rest. The T2108 which is the number above their 40 period moving average is at a more modest 63, but intraday this reading clipped above 70 two sessions back. The next two are the % above their 50 period moving average on the NASDAQ and NYSE.

T2108 Intraday 70

In conjunction with an intraday reading of 70 on the T2108, the Mcllelan Oscilator clipped a very extreme and rare 300 reading before quickly snapping back and on a closing basis ending the week at 93 indicating that some of this exuberance has been tempered.

T2106 Intraday +300

Looking at the $BPNYA, $BPSPX, and $BPCOMPQ it can be seen that these are at extreme readings of 73, 79, and 69 respectively. I believe what is also noteworthy about these three breadth indicators is that there has never been a significant enough pullback over this trading year to pull these readings below 70 for very long. That these readings have remained elevated above 70 for much of the year with the exception of the $BPCOMPQ which lagged early, it's been clear thus far that the signals from them have been less than reliable and better left out of the analysis picture all together.

$BPNYA

$BPSPX

$BPCOMPQ

So now that I have a picture of the landscape I'm traversing upon, the next step is to bring it all together for a game plan going into next week. For this I have a series of questions such as: where are we in the longer term scheme, what is the predominant theme (growth, turnaround, value, junk, sector), what are the breadth trends indicating, and what scenarios should I plan for over the next 5 days.

Ultimately the answer to these questions is somewhat illusory, but the main point I try to focus upon are the two aspects of my trading I mentioned at the beginning: limiting draw downs and trying as best as possible to participate in a market that works with me on my time frame. So for this week I'm going to approach the market with caution and observe how Monday plays out and what tone might be set for the remainder. From a swing trading perspective I think it's best to wait for some clarity and not push marginal edges here. As it stands I have two outstanding positions at full risk, 2% of my account, and the others I hold have break even stops. I have taken myself off of margin going into the weekend due to a time stop and profit target exit and am comfortable with current account risk and see little reason to add to on Monday or Tuesday.

I know from experience that when I start pushing the pedal here I tend to have too many positions open with out enough profit buffer to reduce risk exposure and find myself subject to pull backs and 5-6%+ draw downs. Opening up a new swing this week under the current market conditions based upon past experience would result in a higher probability of being stopped out due to the breadth being extended on the shorter term time frames or my own negligence is taking on too much risk.  With earnings season in a couple of weeks there will be plenty of catalyst based stocks to build a watch list for the next three to six months, so patience until then is prudent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment