Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mild Selling and Potential Pullback


Coming into this week I was on alert for a stall day where the number of stocks up 4% to down 4% were under 100 and in close proximity to each other. Through documenting these numbers daily I've developed a healthy respect this signal gives me when indexes are near their highs or a fresh breadth thrust coincides. In addition I was on alert for outright selling. Either of these events happening would clue me in that the risk appetite in the general market was changing and I would need to adjust as well. Over the past two days both of these happened.

Looking at the numbers, on 01/29 there were 69 stocks up 4% and 70 down which qualified as a stall day. Today there were 62 up and 108 down which is selling. This selling is more pronounced when looking at the number of stocks that were up yesterday 25% in a quarter (1224) and today (1104.) This also is reflected in the number of stocks up 25% in a month as of yesterday (117) and today (82) From my perspective market risk has changed here and as a result I've liquidated my positions down to two. I know from experience that when market risk increases so does my stress tolerance. I've learned from hard knocks that having too much of my capital at risk during these periods is a bigger risk than the market itself as I'm prone to mistakes and trading inefficiencies. Dropping down in size makes it easier for me to manage the trades that I have open while avoiding the discomforts of trading too large during periods of uncertainty.

MM

I am still finding set-ups to trade from the long side, but I'm also noticing a number of stocks have taken some dings this week and the number of stocks that look like short set-ups are increasing as well. My bias is still to the long side until further evidence mounts to the contrary. A pullback is not unreasonable here setting the table for another upside move, but for the moment I'm not going to force the issue and will bide my time and wait for the breadth numbers to line up again and give me a cleaner edge.   

No comments:

Post a Comment