Monday, April 15, 2013

Whiplash I Was Taking a Bath


Some valuable lessons were learned this past week. It would have been more agreeable to me had the short signal on TNA worked, but when it failed I was conditioned sufficiently by this market to buy the dip even though in the back of my mind I was suspicious of each and everyone. Suffice to say all the positions I took failed but at least I salvaged some capital by exiting two at break even while taking losses on the remaining. In retrospect it would have been better to remain on the sidelines, but that is no longer here nor there because as traders the market in front of us is the only information available.

What this got me thinking about is how much noise I allow into my process and how much of it is beneficial versus detrimental. This is a fine line when beginning this journey and one I've clearly not come to a conclusion about. Up to a certain point it's a necessity to branch out and absorb as much information and data as possible. This is learning. However, in the constant pursuit of market knowledge, eventually there must be a reliance upon one's own beliefs and signals. It's all too easy to be assuaged by the comments of others or dissuaded of one's own thoughts due to a constant barrage of disseminated information. It's not an easy answer finding out when this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment