Wednesday, April 3, 2013

ETF Short Pattern Using GMMA and Momentum


One of the goals I've set for myself this year is to improve my edge taking advantage of the short side of the market. One of the difficulties I've found in shorting has been vehicle selection. A second problem is that it is counter-intuitive to what I've been training myself to do, which is to maximize my potential when the market is conducive to being long. Switching my frame of mind on a dime creates internal confusion. So, to accomplish my goal I've opted to simplify the process and use ETFs.

Once I settled on a vehicle selection I started to think in terms of my time frame. On the long side I'm primarily a swing trader with a max time frame of 10 days for a position to prove itself, but on the short side I've been looking at extending my time frame to compensate for the gyrations and counter-trend rallies that occur in declining markets.

To resolve this I started looking at a set-up that marries declining momentum with a signal that a downtrend is underway. For the momentum period I'm using 2 months, and for a signal I'm using a GMMA cross. What I'm looking for as an entry signal is when the momentum turns from positive (as denoted by the green area at the bottom of the chart) to neutral (yellow) or negative (red), coupled with a cross over of the GMMA.

Here are a few recent examples of the pattern.

YINN signaled a short opportunity on 02/06
YINN

EDC signaled a short opportunity on 02/06
EDC

SOXL signaled 04/02
SOXL

ERX signaled 04/03
ERX

No comments:

Post a Comment